Diabetic coma has to do with a situation whereby a person's blood sugar level either gets too low or too high that the brain finds it hard to function. When this happens, such a person may fall into a coma which may even result to death if not attended to early enough.
Most people suffering from diabetes are at a higher risk of suffering a diabetic coma but in this article, we are going to have a look at some of the causes of this medical emergency and tips on how to prevent it. Just sit tight and enjoy this article while learning something new.
What Causes Diabetic Coma?
1. Extremely High Or Low Blood Sugar Level; this is the primary cause of this emergency. So you need to do everything possible to avert getting to an extremely high or low blood sugar.
2. Ignoring Diabetes Medication
3. Deliberately Skipping Meal
4. Diabetic Ketoacidosis; this is a condition that arises when the body starts breaking down the stores fat as a source of energy due to lack of insulin to covert blood sugar or glucose into energy. It is often regarded as an emergency and another primary cause of diabetic coma.
Ways of Preventing Diabetic Coma;
1. Always Take your Diabetes Medication; this is the first tip you should take very seriously. Reason being that if you are able to manage your blood sugar level and prevent it from getting very high, your chances of having a coma would be drastically reduced.
2. Avoid Skipping meals; most times some diabetes patients skip meals to help regulate blood sugar level not knowing this can even worsen the issue. Following a meal plan and sticking to it might even help in controlling your blood sugar level.
3. Check Your Blood Sugar Level Regularly; never assume your blood sugar level is in check when you have not tested yourself. There is no way of assuming your blood sugar level, only trying to do it mean you are calling for a diabetic coma. Knowing your blood sugar level readings regularly would help you know when it has stepped into the unhealthy and dangerous stages.
4. Check For Ketones when your blood sugar level is high; this is to be sure you have not stepped into a more serious complication which is diabetic ketoacidosis.
Thanks, share and follow the handle for more updates on health care.
Source: Mayo Clinic
ErickssonDGreat (via Opera